- Wren Kitchens have put together a delicious range of alternative pancake day recipes for those with dietary requirements or who are just trying to stick to a healthier lifestyle.
- Searches for ‘pancake day’ have risen 110% in the last week, with recipes for ‘gluten free pancakes’ skyrocketing by 1850%
One of everyone’s favourite sweet (or savoury) snacks, ‘Pancake Day’ is just around the corner, searches for ‘pancake toppings’ have risen 110% in the last week, whilst searches for ‘healthy pancake recipe’, as many of us try to cling to our New Year’s Resolutions, have risen by 100% in the last month.
Whether you’re vegan, gluten-free – or just looking for a healthier alternative to your normal pancakes, Wren Kitchens have put together some delicious alternative recipes for pancakes.
Take a look at the recipes below:
Vegan Pancake Recipe
- 330g of self-raising flour
- 400ml of oat milk
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Start by whisking your flour, baking powder, sugar, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt in a large jug. Slowly pour your milk in as you whisk until it forms a smooth, thick batter.
- Heat your oil in a non-stick frying pan on a low-medium heat. Add 2 tbsp of batter to the pan, twice, to form your pancakes, and cook them for 3-4 mins or until the edges are set. Then flip your pancakes and cook for another 2-3 mins until golden.
- Serve with toppings of your choice or keep them warm in a low-temperature oven until all of your pancakes have been cooked.
Gluten Free Pancake Recipe
Although uncommon, for those of us who live with a gluten allergy, it can often be a pain to find different versions of our favourite food that won’t give us a dodgy tummy. This recipe is perfect for those who need to avoid gluten.
- 125g of gluten-free, plain flour
- 250ml of milk
- 1 egg
- Butter for frying
- Take your flour and add it to a bowl, making a well in the centre. Crack the egg in the middle and pour in a quarter of your milk.
- Whisk the mixture thoroughly until combined into a paste and then steadily mix in the rest of the milk until it becomes a batter. Leave this mixture to rest for 20 mins and then stir again before cooking.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan on a low-medium heat and add a knob of butter. Once it starts to melt and foam, pour a small amount of mixture into the pan and swirl it to coat the entire base.
- Cook your batter for 3-4 mins until golden brown, then flip the pancake and repeat. Do this until you’ve used all your batter and then serve with some of the tasty toppings we’ve listed below.
Alternative Pancake Toppings
So, now you have some healthy pancake recipes to hand, what about topping them with sweet syrups and spreads? Well, keeping in theme with our healthy eating, we’ve got a vegan-friendly syrup recipe you can make yourself!
- 400g of strawberry
- 100g of white sugar
- 200ml of water
- 1 tbsp of corn-starch
- Take a small dish and combine 2 tbsp of water with your cornstarch and then set this aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the remaining water, sugar, and diced strawberries and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and then leave it to simmer for 10 mins.
- Add your water and cornstarch mixture and stir it in until combined and the sauce thickens. Turn off the heat and allow the mixture to cool before serving.
- If you prefer a smoother syrup, pour the cooled mixture into a blender and process until smooth, adding an additional 25ml of water while blending.
Of course, you need more than just syrup when eating pancakes, and all of these recipes can be enjoyed with a sprinkling of the following:
- Slice bananas
- Diced kiwi
- Coconut flakes
- Flavoured yoghurt
- Dried raisins
Feel free to mix and match your toppings as you see fit till you find the perfect combination for your pancakes.